Can I just start out and say how cute these little guys are?? I could not get over it! I should make more recipes in muffin tins just for the “cuteness” factor 🙂 I found this recipe off Mix and Match Mama ‘s site. I’m a little obsessed with her recipes lately if you couldn’t tell. This recipe was so simple, and I was able to make it my own with little changes here and there. The original recipe has layers of the wonton wrappers, but I guess my muffin tins were not big enough to do that. I could barely fit all the ingredients in the tins as it was.
· 1 pound ground beef
· 1/4 pkg of turkey pepperoni
· ¼ tsp salt, divided
· ¼ tsp pepper
· ½ onion, chopped
· 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes (or a small jar of spaghetti sauce works great too!)
· 2 cloves garlic, chopped
· 3 tsp dried oregano, divided
· ½ tsp dried basil
· 1 ½ cups part skim ricotta cheese
· ½ cup parmesan cheese
· 24 small square wonton wrappers (the kind near the tofu in the refrigerated section of the produce dept)
· 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the ground beef, then add in onions, chopped pepperoni, salt, and pepper. Saute the mixture for about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and stir about a minute. Add the crushed tomatoes/tomato sauce and 2 tsp of oregano. Bring the pan to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, parmesan cheese, a pinch of salt and pepper, the remaining teaspoon of oregano, and the basil. Stir to mix well. Set aside.
3. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Place 1 wonton wrapper into each of the 12 cups, pressing firmly in the bottom of the cup and up the sides.
4. Using half of the ricotta mixture, divide it among the 12 muffin cups. Next, using half of the ground beef mixture, spoon it evenly over each of the ricotta filled cups. Sprinkle with 2 tsp of mozzarella.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Let the cups cool and remove by sticking a fork under each one and gently lifting out.
|Serve with a spinach salad to make a complete meal 🙂
There you have it: an easy and delicious weeknight dinner! You should definitely give this recipe a try.